Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed May 9, 2012
Welfare Drug Testing Bill Advances to La. House
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A House health care committee has moved ahead with a proposal that would mandate drug testing of welfare recipients, despite objections from Catholic leaders who said the bill raises moral issues by vilifying poor mothers. Supporters say they want to make sure welfare checks pay for family needs, not drugs.