Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
All Songs Considered Blog
Thu May 31, 2012
Watch Neil Young's 'Americana' Film
Originally published on Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm
Neil Young and Crazy Horse have a new record coming out Tuesday. Americana is blistering guitar romp through the classic American songbook, from the 1800s to doo-wop and beyond. Well today we we have a 40 minute film created by Bernard Shakey (Young's alias) filled with the music from Americana.
Shot in silent-film style just a few weeks ago at the Southern California gallery of graphic designer/illustrator Shepard Fairey, the film stars Young as an author who visits an art gallery in hopes of finding illustrations for his new book about great American songs. Once the author finds the proper illustrations, we get to hear the songs from Americana accompanied by film footage from the great silent film era, including the work of legendary director D.W. Griffith.
Americana will be released on June 5. The artworks by Fairey will be displayed at the Perry Rubinstein Gallery in L.A. in June and July.
For more information go to Neil Young's website.