Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
All Songs Considered Blog
Thu May 31, 2012
Watch Neil Young's 'Americana' Film
Originally published on Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm
Neil Young and Crazy Horse have a new record coming out Tuesday. Americana is blistering guitar romp through the classic American songbook, from the 1800s to doo-wop and beyond. Well today we we have a 40 minute film created by Bernard Shakey (Young's alias) filled with the music from Americana.
Shot in silent-film style just a few weeks ago at the Southern California gallery of graphic designer/illustrator Shepard Fairey, the film stars Young as an author who visits an art gallery in hopes of finding illustrations for his new book about great American songs. Once the author finds the proper illustrations, we get to hear the songs from Americana accompanied by film footage from the great silent film era, including the work of legendary director D.W. Griffith.
Americana will be released on June 5. The artworks by Fairey will be displayed at the Perry Rubinstein Gallery in L.A. in June and July.
For more information go to Neil Young's website.