Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Mon March 18, 2013
VFW Offering Free Legal Clinic For Veterans
Veterans can get some free legal advice this week. The New Orleans VFW post is offering help from attorneys on a variety of issues.
VFW New Orleans Post Commander Marshall Hevron says veterans often find themselves with some unique legal problems.
“Certain legal issues may be a little more acute because of the frequent deployments that particularly our most recent veterans have had over the years. And I would say consumer protection complaints are pretty big issues that recent veterans are facing. There are also a lot of family law issues and employment law issues for those who are returning.”
He says legal assistance is also often requested for VA claims. Lawyers volunteering for the event are coming from the Pro Bono Project and the Young Lawyers Division of the Federal Bar Association’s New Orleans chapter. The clinic will be held Thursday from noon to 4 p.m. at the VFW post at 531 Lyons St., Uptown.