Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- For The First Time In 70 Years, Wild Whooping Cranes Have Laid Eggs In Louisiana
Mon March 18, 2013
VFW Offering Free Legal Clinic For Veterans
Veterans can get some free legal advice this week. The New Orleans VFW post is offering help from attorneys on a variety of issues.
VFW New Orleans Post Commander Marshall Hevron says veterans often find themselves with some unique legal problems.
“Certain legal issues may be a little more acute because of the frequent deployments that particularly our most recent veterans have had over the years. And I would say consumer protection complaints are pretty big issues that recent veterans are facing. There are also a lot of family law issues and employment law issues for those who are returning.”
He says legal assistance is also often requested for VA claims. Lawyers volunteering for the event are coming from the Pro Bono Project and the Young Lawyers Division of the Federal Bar Association’s New Orleans chapter. The clinic will be held Thursday from noon to 4 p.m. at the VFW post at 531 Lyons St., Uptown.