Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Wed August 11, 2010
Upperline Chef Ken Smith and Priestess Miriam Chamani
1/2 CUP OIL
1 CUP FLOUR
4 GUMBO CRABS
2 LBS. SHRIMP
1 ONION, CHOPPED
1 BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
3 STALKS CELERY, CHOPPED
2 LBS. OKRA, SLICED 1/4"
OIL FOR FRYING OKRA
1 - 1 LB. CAN CRUSHED TOMATOES
1 GALLON SHRIMP STOCK
1 CLOVE GARLIC
2 T THYME
1 BAY LEAF
1 BUNCH GREEN ONIONS
Peel shrimp and combine peels, onion skins and tops in a stock pot. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes.
Strain and reserve.
Fry okra in very hot oil until lightly browned..
Make a dark roux with the flour and oil, cooking to the color of milk chocolate brown. Add onions, stirring together until the roux darkens to a bittersweet chocolate brown. Add celery and bell pepper. Saut for five minutes, then add the gumbo crabs, tomatoes okra, herbs and the shrimp stock. Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 45 minutes or longer.
Ten minutes before serving add shrimp and green onions. Serve on top of cooked rice.