Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Wed August 11, 2010
Upperline Chef Ken Smith and Priestess Miriam Chamani
1/2 CUP OIL
1 CUP FLOUR
4 GUMBO CRABS
2 LBS. SHRIMP
1 ONION, CHOPPED
1 BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
3 STALKS CELERY, CHOPPED
2 LBS. OKRA, SLICED 1/4"
OIL FOR FRYING OKRA
1 - 1 LB. CAN CRUSHED TOMATOES
1 GALLON SHRIMP STOCK
1 CLOVE GARLIC
2 T THYME
1 BAY LEAF
1 BUNCH GREEN ONIONS
Peel shrimp and combine peels, onion skins and tops in a stock pot. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes.
Strain and reserve.
Fry okra in very hot oil until lightly browned..
Make a dark roux with the flour and oil, cooking to the color of milk chocolate brown. Add onions, stirring together until the roux darkens to a bittersweet chocolate brown. Add celery and bell pepper. Saut for five minutes, then add the gumbo crabs, tomatoes okra, herbs and the shrimp stock. Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 45 minutes or longer.
Ten minutes before serving add shrimp and green onions. Serve on top of cooked rice.