Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
WWNO News Reports
Sun June 28, 2009
Superdome upgrades unveiled
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The recent deal between the state and Saints owner Tom Benson calls for a partnership benefiting both parties. Doug Thornton of SMG, which manages the state-owned Superdome, says the improved stadium will attract big events, like the 2013 Super Bowl, as well as the Saints through 2025.
But plans for the Poydras Street complex depend a great deal on having a major hotel on-site. The Hyatt has been closed since Hurricane Katrina, and new owner Chris Robertson says it's been tough closing a deal to repair the property.
Robertson says if a deal can't be made, the project would be mothballed in October. New Orleans City Council Vice President Jackie Clarkson is offering to help get grants and other available funds.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming