Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Tiny Desk Concerts
Sat October 12, 2013
Superchunk: Tiny Desk Concert
Originally published on Mon December 23, 2013 5:06 pm
It's remarkable to think that Superchunk's career has spanned four decades. The North Carolina band got its start in 1989, and here it is in 2013, with a new record called I Hate Music that demonstrates an undying passion for punk-fueled story songs with catchy phrasing. The band recorded its 10th album with a lineup that has held for most of its history: Mac McCaughan on guitar and vocals, Laura Ballance on bass, Jim Wilbur on guitar and Jon Wurster on drums.
At the Tiny Desk and on tour, it's a shame not to have Ballance in the fold — her hearing problem worsens on tour and in loud venues — though Jason Narducy fills in admirably here. This set in the NPR Music offices includes songs from I Hate Music and 2010's Majesty Shredding, but the group also digs deep to perform a song from 1995's Here's Where the Strings Come In. All in all, it's a joy to have Superchunk translate its electric sound to acoustic instruments in such an intimate way.
- "Out Of The Sun"
- "Digging For Something"
- "Animated Airplanes Over Germany"
- "Me & You & Jackie Mittoo"
Producers: Bob Boilen, Denise DeBelius; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Videographers: Denise DeBelius, Becky Harlan, Meredith Rizzo; photo by Abbey Oldham/NPR