Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 22, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Where Y'Eat: Relighting The Tiki Torch
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Sat June 14, 2014
Summertime Fun: Hot Dogs, Picnics And Kids
As temperatures rise around Louisiana it's become perfectly clear that summer is here. So this week on Louisiana Eats! we're talking about traditional summertime foods, giving you advice for picnics, and hearing how to keep your kids entertained during the hottest part of the year.
We'll speak with two hot dog experts: one local vendor and one national scholar. Skip Murray is The Hot Dog Man behind the popular New Orleans chain Dat Dog, and we'll speak to him about the booming popularity his stores have experienced in the short years they've been open. And then we're joined by Bruce Kraig, author of Man Bites Dog.
Asian Cole Slaw (Serves 6 – 8)
1 small cabbage
4 tablespoons sesame oil
½ cup rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon chili oil
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
Finely shred the cabbage. Whisk the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and chili oil and toss with the cabbage. Sprinkle on the sugar and salt and toss. Taste to adjust seasonings, adding more salt, sugar and chili oil if needed and chill until serving.