Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed May 21, 2014
Student Essays Reveal Insights On Discipline, School Staffing
As the school year ends, education writer Sarah Carr sought a different approach to perspectives on schools.
She asked the students themselves to write opinion pieces on controversial topics: Discipline in schools, Teach for America teachers versus veteran educators, whether all students should go to a four-year college, and school desegregation.
Teenagers at the Bard Early College program submitted their thoughts, and The Hechinger Report has been publishing these essays.
Carr included excerpts from essays by Brianisha Frith, with her views on Teach for America.
And Kenyatta Collins brought strong opinions on school discipline.
Support for education reporting on WWNO comes from Baptist Community Ministries, Entergy, the Hechinger Report, and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.