Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Fri February 27, 2009
Snooks Eaglin Funeral
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – New Orleans has given a traditional farewell to guitarist Snooks Eaglin, who died last week at age 72. Correspondent Eileen Fleming has more.
The Howlin Wolf club in New Orleans was jammed with musical stars paying tribute to Snooks Eaglin. Allen Toussaint, Charmaine Neville, Deacon John and others performed as the man considered a musician's musician was remembered.
Mid-City Lanes Rock N Bowl owner John Blanchard spent many late nights with Eaglin, who often headlined.
Allen Toussant said he was around when the legend began about how Snooks got behind the wheel of a car - despite being blinded by glaucoma at the age of one. The others were just too drunk to drive.
The club set aside time for a jam session after the funeral to honor Eaglin and his 50-year career.
For WWNO I'm Eileen Fleming