Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Fri January 18, 2013
Shrimp Season to Close in Some La. Inside Waters
Louisiana's Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has announced that fall shrimp season will close Friday in all state inside waters east of the Mississippi River — except for the open waters of Breton and Chandeleur Sounds.
The department said in a news release Tuesday that it extended the season in December. But current sampling by department biologists indicates that average white shrimp size in the affected waters is smaller than 100 count per pound.
The closure provides an opportunity for the small white shrimp to reach larger, more valuable sizes.