Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- Dalai Lama Brings Timely Message To New Orleans
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Master Plan
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
Fri January 18, 2013
Shrimp Season to Close in Some La. Inside Waters
Louisiana's Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has announced that fall shrimp season will close Friday in all state inside waters east of the Mississippi River — except for the open waters of Breton and Chandeleur Sounds.
The department said in a news release Tuesday that it extended the season in December. But current sampling by department biologists indicates that average white shrimp size in the affected waters is smaller than 100 count per pound.
The closure provides an opportunity for the small white shrimp to reach larger, more valuable sizes.