Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed August 22, 2012
Sheriff: 2 wounded deputies continue to recover
A 24-year-old man accused of shooting a St. John the Baptist Parish deputy is being held without bond.
That information about Brian Lyn Smith was posted Tuesday on the sheriff's office website. Brian Smith was booked Friday with attempted first-degree murder of a police officer.
He's accused of shooting 33-year-old Deputy Michael Scott Boyington, who remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Mike Tregre has said three deputies were ambushed while investigating that shooting, and two were killed.
Tregre said Tuesday that Boyington and 30-year-old Deputy Jason Triche continue to improve.
Thirty-four-year-old Deputy Brandon Nielsen of Destrehan will be buried Wednesday. Deputy Jeremy Triche, of LaPlace, was buried Monday on what would have been his 28th birthday.
One suspect remains hospitalized; five others have bonds of $350,000 or $750,000.