Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Wed August 22, 2012
Sheriff: 2 wounded deputies continue to recover
A 24-year-old man accused of shooting a St. John the Baptist Parish deputy is being held without bond.
That information about Brian Lyn Smith was posted Tuesday on the sheriff's office website. Brian Smith was booked Friday with attempted first-degree murder of a police officer.
He's accused of shooting 33-year-old Deputy Michael Scott Boyington, who remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Mike Tregre has said three deputies were ambushed while investigating that shooting, and two were killed.
Tregre said Tuesday that Boyington and 30-year-old Deputy Jason Triche continue to improve.
Thirty-four-year-old Deputy Brandon Nielsen of Destrehan will be buried Wednesday. Deputy Jeremy Triche, of LaPlace, was buried Monday on what would have been his 28th birthday.
One suspect remains hospitalized; five others have bonds of $350,000 or $750,000.