Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Fri August 3, 2012
Queen of the Mississippi to launch service
A comeback for old-fashioned paddlewheel riverboat travel on the Mississippi River continues in New Orleans this weekend with the departure from New Orleans of the Queen of the Mississippi, a brand new, quintuple-decked vessel mixing 19th century trappings meant to evoke the Mark Twain era with modern amenities including internet access, satellite television, an exercise area and a putting green.
American Cruise Lines has set Saturday as the date for its first seven-night round trip to Vicksburg, Miss.
Future destinations include Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul and, on the Ohio River, Pittsburgh.
The Queen of the Mississippi's launch comes six months after the competing Great American Steamboat Co. brought riverboat cruises back to New Orleans with the refurbished American Queen in April.