Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Tue May 29, 2012
Originally published on Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am
States across the country have promised their employees sweet retirement benefits, but haven't set aside enough money to pay for those benefits.
On today's show, we hear from Illinois, which owes its state pension funds $83 billion.
And we hear from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. territory halfway around the world. The territory may point to the future for many U.S. states: It just became the first American public pension fund to file for bankruptcy.
For More: Read our story, Bankrupt In Paradise