Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Tue January 15, 2013
Plaquemines Parish Deputy Accused of Sex Assault
A Plaquemines Parish sheriff's deputy has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman in his custody.
The Times-Picayune reports that 29-year-old Elijah D. Gary of Port Sulphur was arrested Friday on charges of sexual battery and malfeasance of office for sexual misconduct.
The sheriff's office began the investigation Nov. 20 after a 29-year-old woman told detectives he sexually assaulted her while he was processing her into jail.
He was being on a $50,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney.
Gary had been a Plaquemines Parish deputy since July 2007.
He made headlines two years ago when officials in St. Charles Parish announced they had to dismiss charges against 60 defendants arrested in a narcotics investigation because of his role in the matter.