Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- Dalai Lama Brings Timely Message To New Orleans
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Master Plan
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
Fri March 1, 2013
People vs. Pets? Plans For City Dog Parks Draw Growls From Some Owners
If you own a dog in New Orleans, there are two places where your dog can legally run around off-leash: your yard and City Bark, the private dog park in City Park.
The New Orleans Recreation Development Commission wants to change that. NORD-C has selected two off-leash dog-runs for each district, but with city money tight there’s no telling when they’ll be built.
Meanwhile, unofficial dog parks, like Markey Park in Bywater and Cabrini in the French Quarter, are being redesigned as spaces for people, not dogs. Eve Abrams reports that at neighborhood meetings and on social media, the fur is flying.
Tiger Truck Stop