Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
Tue January 29, 2013
Oyster Processor/State Commissioner in ICU
One of the best-known people in Louisiana's seafood business is in intensive care.
Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board executive director Ewell Smith says oyster company owner Mike Voisin was hospitalized early Saturday at Terrebonne General Hospital in Houma.
Voisin is owner of Motivatit Seafood and a member of the state Wildlife and Fisheries Commissioner. He's a former Chairman of the National Fisheries Institute and of the Louisiana Oyster Task force, and a founder of the seafood board.
Smith says he's been in touch with the family daily since Voisin's heart stopped early Saturday. He says Voisin's daughter happened to be visiting and was able to start CPR before an ambulance arrived, and on Tuesday Voisin responded to a request to move his fingers.