Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Features
Fri May 20, 2011
Old River Control Structure also important to contain flooding
New Orleans, LA – Flood waters along the Mississippi are at record levels, and Saturday the Army Corps of Engineers opened the Morganza Spillway, allowing water to spill from the Mississippi River into the Atchafalaya River Basin. This weekend, Zoe Sullivan visited a different structure designed to regulate water flow between the rivers, the Old River Control System.