Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
Thu May 16, 2013
Officials Say Mother's Day Shooting Is Gang Related
New Orleans police have arrested two brothers in the Mother’s Day shooting that injured 20 people at a Seventh Ward second-line. Officials say the shooting is gang-related.
Nineteen-year-old Akein Scott was arrested Wednesday night at a house in New Orleans East. His bail is set at $10 million dollars and he’s facing 20 counts of attempted murder.
His 24-year-old brother, Shawn, was picked up today on the same charges.
Police identified the younger brother from a surveillance video, appearing to shoot directly at panicked bystanders.
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu credits the community for helping find the suspects.
“The reason that we are succeeding today is because there are a lot of people that helped make this happen, primarily the people of New Orleans — who finally said, ‘We’re not putting up with this anymore’ — came together as a community to give us the kind of information we need,” Landrieu said.
Four others are also in custody, accused of harboring the younger brother.
Police say the Scott brothers were targeting a rival gang member from the Ninth Ward, who is among the injured.