Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
WWNO News Reports
Thu March 17, 2011
NOPD Slammed In Department of Justice Report
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The Justice Department's civil rights division found New Orleans police have routinely used excessive force, racial profiling and conducted unconstitutional searches. Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez says while some progress has been made under a new mayor and police superintendent, the problems run deep.
"Our investigation has shown show that the problems and challenges confronting the NOPD are serious, wide-ranging, systemic and deeply rooted in the culture of the department."
Federal and city officials are expected to begin negotiations on a consent decree to formalize improvements overseen by a federal judge.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.