Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Thu September 20, 2012
New Orleans to join White House anti-violence initiative
A White House initiative designed to prevent youth violence has been expanded to include New Orleans and three other cities.
The Justice Department announced Wednesday that New Orleans, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and Camden, N.J., have been selected to participate in the National Forum on Youth Violence Prevention.
They will join six other cities — Boston; Chicago; Detroit; Memphis, Tenn.; Salinas, Calif.; and San Jose, Calif. — already involved in the initiative launched in 2010.
The 10 cities are scheduled to hold a national summit in Washington next spring.