Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Fri May 13, 2011
Morganza Spillway To Open Saturday
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Governor Jindal says the Army Corps does not want to open the floodgates at night, and wants road access closed off before the water is released. He says sometime Saturday, the spillway will gradually open. The water will take a few days before reaching towns along the Atchafalaya River that engineers predict will flood. The Red Cross is setting up shelters on higher ground near the areas expecting several feet of water. Jindal says crews are fanning out farther away from levees, looking for any signs the structures are weakening.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.