Mandeville issues voluntary evacuation
Mayor Donald Villere of Mandeville has issued a voluntary evacuation of all low-lying areas of the city in advance of Tropical Storm Isaac, according to a statement posted to the city's website.
The city says it expects to be directly affected by Isaac on Tuesday afternoon, with hurricane-force winds and rain increasing through Wednesday.
Mandeville has also issued a series of special announcements to its residents:
- The city is expecting power outages
- There will be no shelters in Mandeville. Residents requiring shelter should refer to the St. Tammany Parish website
- Garbage and recycling collections will be delayed in the city until Friday
- Sandbags are currently available at the Mandeville Public Works Department, 1100 Mandeville High Blvd.
- Mandeville City Hall and the city's Community Center will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday. The mayor's office will remain open for calls 24/7, however: (985) 626-1082
- Downed trees and power lines should be reported to the Mandeville Police Department: (985) 626-9711