Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Mon January 14, 2013
Man Fleeing From Police Commits Suicide
A 20-year-old man on the run from New Orleans police officers shot and killed himself this morning in the 3000-block of Sandra Drive in Algiers, the police department said today in a press release.
Police say the man fled from Fourth District officers after they spotted him on Sandra Drive with a gun. The man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of his family, fired several shots at the police when they began pursuing him. Officers requested backup and set up a perimeter, and did not return fire.
As police began searching for the suspect, a single shot was heard. Officers discovered the man at approximately 11 a.m. behind an abandoned apartment complex on the 100-block of Westpark Ct. He had shot himself in the face, and he died on the scene.
The man had previously been arrested for Carnal Knowledge of a Juvenile, Burglary, Theft Over $500, Theft Under $100, and Possession of Stolen Property.
Detectives recovered the gun, and no other people were injured by gunfire. Sergeant Nicole Barbe of the Force Investigation Team of the Public Integrity Bureau is in charge of the investigation.