Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed February 20, 2013
Lawmaker Looking for Suggestions on School Safety
A state lawmaker who heads the House homeland security committee is seeking ideas from educators and parents about ways to improve school safety.
Covington Rep. John Schroder has set up a special email address to solicit comments. He's asking people to send their ideas to email@example.com.
Schroder's committee held an earlier hearing to get suggestions from state education leaders and law enforcement officials about how to strengthen school security.
The review is prompted by the mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. A gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
In addition to the House review of school safety preparations, Gov. Bobby Jindal formed a 13-member study group to look at the issue and offer ideas in advance of the regular legislative session.
Arts & Culture