Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery
Wed August 22, 2012
Landrieu: Nearly $8.4M for new veterans cemetery
Nearly $8.4 million in federal funds has been set aside for the establishment of the Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery in Slidell.
U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu says the money will cover the construction of a main entrance, an administration building, a maintenance facility, roads and other infrastructure for the cemetery which will cover 21 acres.
Landrieu said Tuesday that after sacrificing to defend and protect America, Louisiana military veterans and their families shouldn't have to travel hundreds of miles for cemetery services or to visit the graves of their loved ones.
The closest national cemetery in south Louisiana is located in Baton Rouge, while the closest state cemetery is in Newton, Miss., about 186 miles from Slidell.
The grant was awarded by the Department of Veterans Affairs.