Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery
Wed August 22, 2012
Landrieu: Nearly $8.4M for new veterans cemetery
Nearly $8.4 million in federal funds has been set aside for the establishment of the Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery in Slidell.
U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu says the money will cover the construction of a main entrance, an administration building, a maintenance facility, roads and other infrastructure for the cemetery which will cover 21 acres.
Landrieu said Tuesday that after sacrificing to defend and protect America, Louisiana military veterans and their families shouldn't have to travel hundreds of miles for cemetery services or to visit the graves of their loved ones.
The closest national cemetery in south Louisiana is located in Baton Rouge, while the closest state cemetery is in Newton, Miss., about 186 miles from Slidell.
The grant was awarded by the Department of Veterans Affairs.