Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed January 16, 2013
Kayhan Kalhor & Erdal Erzincan: globalFEST 2013
Originally published on Thu June 19, 2014 2:04 pm
The soulful Persian classical virtuoso and composer Kayhan Kalhor has long been interested in creating artistic bridges to other musicians and styles, including in his work with Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Project and a long-term collaboration with the Indian sitarist Shujaat Khan.
At this year's edition of globalFEST, Kalhor revived a partnership that initially began about a decade ago with a Turkish master artist, the baglama player Erdal Erzincan. Together, they create beautiful, buoyant and extended improvisations that draw upon the shared connections between Persian and Turkish music, with Erzincan's baglama (a long-necked plucked lute) in deep and brilliant discourse with Kalhor's kemancheh, a spiked fiddle alternately bowed in surging, long and lyrical lines or plucked percussively.
Producers: Mito Habe-Evans, Bob Boilen; Videographers: Gabriella Garcia-Pardo, Mito Habe-Evans; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Video Editor: Denise DeBelius Assistant Producer: Denise DeBelius; Special Thanks to: Webster Hall, globalFEST 2013; Executive Producers: Anya Grundmann, Keith Jenkins.