Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Wed April 18, 2012
Jindal to Sign Voucher Bill
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A Catholic elementary school in Baton Rouge is the setting for Gov. Bobby Jindal as he signs legislation reshaping numerous aspects of public education in Louisiana, including a bill allowing the state to fund private school tuition for some students.
Wednesday's bill signing ceremony takes place at Redemptorist Elementary School.
The wide-ranging measures to be signed at the school also make major changes to teacher tenure rules, while giving more hiring and firing power to school principals and superintendents.