Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Sun May 27, 2012
It's the Simplest Things That Keep Us Wondering
Here's something simple to think about (not).
Think about "now." Too late, it's already become "then."
"Now" on the sun takes 8 minutes to get to Earth. It still looks like a "now." But it's a then.
When a mosquito bites you "now," it takes a teeny amount of time for that "now" to reach your brain.
If two people, one 6 feet tall, the other five feet tall are bit at the same instant by two mosquitoes, the "ouch" takes longer to travel to the taller person's brain than the shorter person's brain. There's hardly a difference, but it's different enough to make two different "nows."
That's what he's talking about.
You can think about this for a long time.
Want to keep this list going?
Send me your "now" thoughts in the comments below.
xkcd is a webcomic created by Randall Munroe. The comic's tagline describes it as "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language."