Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu September 6, 2012
Isaac: dead nutria, other creatures wash ashore
The Mississippi Gulf Coast isn't the only place dead nutria washed ashore after Hurricane Isaac. Mandeville Mayor Donald Villere says debris on the Lake Pontchartrain lakefront included a thousand dead nutria and some other animals.
He tells The Times-Picayune those included dead fish, a dead alligator and some feral hogs.
Villere says the city got state permission to dump the dead animals in a closed parish landfill. He says city crews dug a hole, dumped in the bodies, and filled the hole back in.
Thousands of dead nutria also washed up on the beaches in Mississippi's Harrison and Hancock counties.