Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Mon May 5, 2014
Iconic New Orleans Snoball Stand Honored With A James Beard Award
An iconic New Orleans snoball stand — Hansen's Sno-Bliz — will be recognized as an "American classic” at the James Beard Awards on Monday night in New York.
The American Classics award is given to long-running establishments with local character and quality food.
Hansen's Sno-Bliz opened in 1939 and is believed to be the oldest snoball stand in the United States. The founder, Ernest Hansen, even patented his invention — an electric ice shaving machine. These days, the snoball stand is operated by Ernest Hansen's granddaughter, Ashley Hansen.
The James Beard Foundation said in its announcement that the crew at Hansens “takes orders, shaves ice, douses cones, and cultivates a diverse community, one treat at a time.”
New Orleans chef John Besh will also be honored on Monday. Besh is being inducted into James Beard's Who's Who of Food and Beverage.
Arts & Culture