Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Wed September 12, 2012
Hours extended to apply for food assistance
State officials say hours have been extended in Orleans and Jefferson parishes for residents seeking disaster food assistance following Hurricane Isaac.
Suzy Sonnier, secretary of the Department of Children and Family Services, says both UNO's Lakefront Arena in Orleans Parish and the Alario Center in Jefferson Parish will process applications from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. Wednesday for those whose last name begins with A through M; on Thursday, applicants N through Z will be processed.
DCFS says it's also increasing processing capacity by adding computers and staff at each site.
The department has also received a two-day extension for applicants in Lafourche. The new deadline there is Thursday.
In Plaquemines and St. John the Baptist parishes, the new deadline is Friday.