Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Features
Wed October 28, 2009
Hospitals Spark Controversy
By Eve Abrams
New Orleans, Louisiana – For well over 200 years, anyone could get top notch health care at Charity Hospital, free. After Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans' primary public hospital was closed. Most city and state officials are working to open a new, state-of-the-art teaching hospital in lower Mid-City, but a broad coalition of local interests have other ideas. Eve Abrams reports.