Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Tue April 26, 2011
Guidelines Released For $500 Million BP Oil Spill Research Grants
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Most of the research will be conducted in the five Gulf states affected by the oil spill. Projects will focus on the effects of the spill on the environment and public health. Twenty academics are on the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative board. They'll oversee the studies on topics that will also include cleanup technologies. The board chairman says it's taken longer than expected to write the guidelines. Officials are studying ways to plug funding gaps that could occur with research that's now under way. Grant winners won't be announced until the end of August.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.