Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Wed October 16, 2013
The Green Minute: Vampire Power
With Fall finally in the air and the calendar page turned to October, it’s time for ghosts, goblins, witches and mummies.
But keeping the real vampires away will take more than garlic and crosses. There are vampires hiding in plain sight right this very moment, and they even live with you.
Vampire power is the energy drawn from devices while they are in standby mode, and it’s a real drain on the grid. Nationally, standby power accounts for more than 100 billion kilowatt hours of annual electricity consumption, and more than $10 billion in annual energy costs.
To ward off your own energy vampires lurking in your home, unplug all cell phone and computer chargers, and use power strips. And never, ever invite them inside... but you already knew that. For more energy saving tips visit energystar.gov.