Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
It's All Politics
Fri May 18, 2012
George W. Bush Will Return To The White House, Briefly
Originally published on Fri May 18, 2012 3:23 pm
Later this month, former President George W. Bush will make his first public visit to the White House in more than two years, reports The Dallas Morning News. He will be joined by his wife, Laura:
"[They will be] honored by President Barack Obama with the unveiling of their official portraits that will hang at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
"The White House confirmed on Friday that the Bushes are slated to revisit their Washington home of eight years on May 31 for a rare joint appearance between the current and past presidents."
The 43rd president, who has shied away from the spotlight since leaving office, was in Washington earlier this week for a "Celebration of Freedom" in which he advocated the U.S. taking a more active role in supporting democracy movements abroad. He joked, "I actually found my freedom by leaving Washington." (Watch the CBS News video.)
Bush's previous high-profile visit to the Obama White House was in January 2010. He joined Obama and another former president, Bill Clinton, in heading up a fundraising project for earthquake-ravaged Haiti.