Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Tue November 2, 2010
Former Technology Chief Pleads Guilty in Kickback Scam
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – U-S Attorney Jim Letten says Meffert received $860,000 from businessman and former partner Mark St. Pierre between 2004 and 2007. St. Pierre is also accused of paying kickbacks to officials in Baton Rouge and Lafayette. He has pleaded NOT guilty and is scheduled for trial in January. Meffert pleaded guilty to conspiracy and filing a false income tax return. Letten says the deal calls for Meffert, who had faced a 62-count indictment, to tell authorities what he knows. All charges that had been filed against his wife, Linda, will be dismissed after she also helps investigators. Letten was asked if the investigation could include Meffert's former boss - Mayor Ray Nagin.
"We simply follow evidence wherever it takes us, and we are not going to speculate about any other individuals who may or may not be involved in any criminality. That's actually been a key to our success and hopefully it will continue to be."
The case centers on St. Pierre getting $4 million dollars worth of no-bid contracts for the city's crime cameras.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.