Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office
Fri August 3, 2012
Former Jefferson deputy booked with malfeasance
A former Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputy has been booked with malfeasance.
Officials say 56-year-old Robert Hoobler of Gretna was arrested Thursday over an incident in November in which Hoobler is accused using a stun gun against a suspect multiple times.
Col. John Fortunato says Hoobler had arrested a person wanted for a violation of a protective order, and had placed the suspect into the rear seat of his marked unit. Fortunato says while driving to the parish jail, the suspect removed his seat belt, turned sideways and began kicking the rear door of the police car.
He says Hoobler used his stun gun after repeated orders to stop resisting were ignored.
Fortunato says Hobbler was fired after he refused to answer questions during an investigation of the incident.