Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Farmers Market Minute
Sat September 22, 2012
Some farmers market shoppers plan their visits like sorties, executed with military precision to purchase a set menu of products. Others head to market to learn.
Over the past decade and a half, thousands of market shoppers have learned how to grow butterfly and hummingbird gardens from Folsom’s Mizell family. School trips invariably bend Jim Mizell’s ear to learn about the size of plants and colors needed to attract our fluttering friends.
This weekend, if you’re up for a quick trip to the country, now is a great time to visit the Mizell Farms in Folsom for their annual Butterfly and Hummingbird Festival. There are a ton of activities at the festival, for all ages — everything from seminars and slide shows to hummingbird banding. You can also meet author Dr. Gary Noel Ross, and learn how to redesign your yard to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
For WWNO, this is Richard McCarthy.