Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Farmers Market Minute
Sat September 22, 2012
Some farmers market shoppers plan their visits like sorties, executed with military precision to purchase a set menu of products. Others head to market to learn.
Over the past decade and a half, thousands of market shoppers have learned how to grow butterfly and hummingbird gardens from Folsom’s Mizell family. School trips invariably bend Jim Mizell’s ear to learn about the size of plants and colors needed to attract our fluttering friends.
This weekend, if you’re up for a quick trip to the country, now is a great time to visit the Mizell Farms in Folsom for their annual Butterfly and Hummingbird Festival. There are a ton of activities at the festival, for all ages — everything from seminars and slide shows to hummingbird banding. You can also meet author Dr. Gary Noel Ross, and learn how to redesign your yard to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
For WWNO, this is Richard McCarthy.