Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon January 14, 2013
Five Years Into Fracking Boom, One Pa. Town At A Turning Point
Originally published on Mon January 14, 2013 4:40 pm
The natural gas fracking boom has sped up life in Towanda, Pa. There are positives and negatives to that fact — Towanda's unemployment rate stayed low throughout the recession, but its crime rate jumped, too. And now that natural gas prices have slowed down drilling, Towanda is wondering whether its boom is already turning into a bust.