Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Fri July 20, 2012
Ethics board postpones decision on Orange-Jones
The state ethics board has deferred a decision on whether state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education member Kira Orange-Jones can keep her elected seat and her job as executive director of the New Orleans branch of Teach for America.
Alainna Giacone, spokeswoman for the ethics board, said Friday that Orange-Jones' attorney asked for the postponement until the panel's August meeting.
Teach for America has a contract with the state Department of Education and with the Recovery School District to recruit teachers. The contracts exceed $50,000. Although BESE is not directly associated with the contracts, any contract that surpasses $50,000 requires the state school board's approval.
The ethic's board staff has suggested Orange-Jones shouldn't be getting a paycheck from Teach for America while she sits on BESE.