Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Wed April 8, 2009
Documentary about NOLA small businesses
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA –
A documentary about New Orleans small businesses may have an international impact. Correspondent Eileen Fleming has more.
Seattle filmmaker Hanson Hosein produced Rising from Ruins to highlight the importance of small businesses in a damaged community. It was screened at the New Orleans International Human Rights Film Festival, a forum he says was appropriate to show how small businesses are central to all sorts of rebuilding efforts.
Hanson is also in charge of the digital media program at the University of Washington. It's a launching pad he hopes will help communities around the world access the film online to see a model for survival. A clip of the film is now available online here. For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming