Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Tue June 12, 2012
Crunchy Coconut-Berry Salad
This incredibly fast salad from The Sunset Cookbook by Sunset Books and Margo True (Oxmoor House 2010) plays on a sharp contrast of textures – ripe berries, crunchy jicama and brittle toasted coconut. You can find the fat slivers of sliced dried coconut (sometimes called "coconut flakes") at health food and natural foods stores. Otherwise, substitute shredded coconut, but take care as it will toast more quickly.
3/4 cup unsweetened sliced dried coconut
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups mixed fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or sliced strawberries)
1 cup peeled jicama, cut in 1/2-inch dice
3 tablespoons loosely packed mint leaves
In a heavy 6- to 8-inch pan, stir coconut often over medium-high heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together lime juice and honey. Add berries and jicama. Tear mint leaves into small pieces and scatter over salad. Add toasted coconut and mix gently.