Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Jefferson Performing Arts Center
Sun July 22, 2012
Credit line blocked for JPAS project
Rep. Cameron Henry has blocked the use of almost $10 million in lines of credit intended for the Jefferson Performing Arts Center, saying he wants Jefferson Parish officials to explain why the project costs have skyrocketed.
The Times-Picayune reports the Metairie Republican asked the state Bond Commission for a 30-day delay in reauthorization of the line of credit.
Parish Council member Chris Roberts said he supported Henry's action. Roberts said he doesn't think the parish administration has adequately addressed a scathing report by the legislative auditor's office last year on cost overruns at the long-delayed arts center.
One change order of $5.6 million was paid even though Reda Youssef, capital projects director for the parish, said he could not certify more than $2.8 million.