Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Jefferson Performing Arts Center
Sun July 22, 2012
Credit line blocked for JPAS project
Rep. Cameron Henry has blocked the use of almost $10 million in lines of credit intended for the Jefferson Performing Arts Center, saying he wants Jefferson Parish officials to explain why the project costs have skyrocketed.
The Times-Picayune reports the Metairie Republican asked the state Bond Commission for a 30-day delay in reauthorization of the line of credit.
Parish Council member Chris Roberts said he supported Henry's action. Roberts said he doesn't think the parish administration has adequately addressed a scathing report by the legislative auditor's office last year on cost overruns at the long-delayed arts center.
One change order of $5.6 million was paid even though Reda Youssef, capital projects director for the parish, said he could not certify more than $2.8 million.