Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Mon March 11, 2013
Corps of Engineers to Temporarily Close Belle Chasse Tunnel
The Belle Chasse Tunnel is closing for a week for work to stop groundwater from leaking into the tunnel.
The Army Corps of Engineers says the tunnel will close overnight — from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. — from Monday through Thursday. It will close 24 hours a day over the weekend, starting at 7 p.m. Friday and reopening at 5 a.m. on Monday, March 18.
The corps says more work will be needed to fully eliminate seepage, but the tunnel is expected to stay open after March 18.
The Belle Chasse Tunnel usually carries two lanes of southbound traffic on Louisiana State Highway 23 under the Intracoastal Waterway in Plaquemines Parish.
During the temporary closure, the Belle Chasse Bridge will carry one lane of traffic in each direction.
Highway 23 Closure