Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
Mon September 30, 2013
Common Core Standards Under Fire As Teachers Implement Changes
Political tempers have flared in Louisiana surrounding the Common Core standards. Adopted by 45 states and the District of Columbia, the guidelines change the way some subjects are taught, and aim to better measure how students are performing on a national level.
WWNO News Director Eve Troeh spoke with education reporter Sarah Carr. She writes for the Hechinger Report, a nonprofit education news service. She’s been following along as teachers learn to align with the Common Core standards. She started off explaining why Common Core is not technically a “curriculum.”
Voices From The Classroom