Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Oil Platform Fire
Wed September 26, 2012
Coast Guard Investigating Oil Platform Fire
The Coast Guard is investigating an oil platform that caught fire 35 miles off the Louisiana coast. Three people on the rig in the Gulf of Mexico have been safely evacuated.
Coast Guard spokeswoman Elizabeth Bordelon says a W & T Offshore company platform that caught fire is now secured.
“According to our sources it has been shut in and the fire is out at this time,” Bordelon said.
An oil pollution investigator is on board a Coast Guard helicopter circling the rig. A 45-foot vessel is on scene, and a cutter is also responding.
The Coast Guard says a half-mile oil sheen reported near the rig appears to be dissipating.
Bayou Corne Sinkhole
Gulf Oil Spill