Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
WWNO News Reports
Mon March 29, 2010
Boys Town Opens New Orleans Home
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Music and a Mardi Gras Indian in full costume helped mark the opening of a home for as many as eight boys at Bienville Street near Jefferson Davis Parkway. Executive Director Dennis Dillon said the house has furniture, appliances and household goods for the boys and the married couple who will be in charge of the home.
One of the visitors checking out the house restored from Hurricane Katrina damage was Shine White. The 20-year-old junior at Louisiana Tech lived at another Boys Town home in New Orleans for five years.
White says his Boys Town experience greatly enhanced his life. Dillon says all eight boys referred to the program by social agencies will be moving in over the next few weeks.