Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- For The First Time In 70 Years, Wild Whooping Cranes Have Laid Eggs In Louisiana
The Economy Project
Sat January 16, 2010
Biden Announces Loan Forgiveness
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The Vice President said New Orleans and other cities and agencies will soon have an opportunity to shed some crushing debt. He said communities must show they still need help to have those loans forgiven.
He made the announcement at the St. Bernard Community Center. Senator Mary Landrieu joined Biden at the event attended by about 300 people. She also arranged for him to visit southwest Louisiana communities still recovering from hurricanes of 2005.
Biden said it was poignant to be announcing disaster relief in the region devasted by Katrina four years ago, while the world scrambles to help the hundreds of thousands of earthquake victims in Haiti.
Biden and his wife will be heading to Miami tomorrow to make sure that relief efforts there are going smoothly to get help to Haitians.