Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
WWNO News Reports
Wed October 5, 2011
Archbishop Hannan Taken To St. Louis Cathedral For Funeral
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The St. Aug Marching 100 led the procession along Carrolton Avenue to Canal Street and through the French Quarter to the cathedral. The archbishop was taken in a horse-drawn carriage, followed by clergy and family members. Funeral services begin at 2 p.m. tomorrow. Mourners will include Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, who ordered flags lowered this week in Hannan's honor.
"I thought it was appropriate as a gesture of respect on behalf of a grieving state that we order flags at half-mast. He certainly lived a full life."
The 98-year-old archbishop will be buried under the altar of the cathedral, alongside his predecessors.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.