Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Wed October 5, 2011
Archbishop Hannan Taken To St. Louis Cathedral For Funeral
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The St. Aug Marching 100 led the procession along Carrolton Avenue to Canal Street and through the French Quarter to the cathedral. The archbishop was taken in a horse-drawn carriage, followed by clergy and family members. Funeral services begin at 2 p.m. tomorrow. Mourners will include Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, who ordered flags lowered this week in Hannan's honor.
"I thought it was appropriate as a gesture of respect on behalf of a grieving state that we order flags at half-mast. He certainly lived a full life."
The 98-year-old archbishop will be buried under the altar of the cathedral, alongside his predecessors.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.