Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Thu August 19, 2010
Allen Orders New Blow-Out Preventer Before Bottom Kill
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – National Incident Commander Thad Allen says he wants the blow-out preventer installed by the Deepwater Horizon replaced before mud and cement is pumped into the bottom of the blown-out well.
" We are very, very close to the end. This gets to be a very, very complex evolution. And there are no black-and-white choices here, and this has required a significant amount of discussion."
Allen says pressure testing will be done through Saturday to determine the best way to remove equipment that's been subpoenaed for the investigation into the Deepwater Horizon explosion. The Department of Justice will be in charge of preserving the evidence.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.